Friday, April 8, 2011

A triumphant return!

To be precise, the return of my computer! Well, not exactly. I got a new one - but the important thing is it means I can get writing again, and gotten writing I have! Yes, 'Changing' is slowly but steadily getting going, there's been work on 'Consulting Detective' (work which largely involves me taking control of episode one from Adam!) and work on poetry. Yes, you read that correctly, I said poetry. What am I talking about? Poetry, not prose or stories? Have I gone insane? Well, stay right there and I'll explain everything for you, dear reader! It all started a few weeks back when, as part of my school's 'Big Read' week (which ended in an amazing 24-hour Readathon - I'll have to put up a post about it at some point), I was one the lucky people that got to attend a poetry reading and Q/A session, with a poet (whose name escapes me at the minute!), as well as a workshop session with him in the afternoon. Now, he was a really rather inspiring fellow and the whole poetry theme of the day reminded me of the recent school trip to 'GCSE Poetry Live' that I had attended. When we were there we heard from the truly amazing John Agard, as well as Simon Armitage. One of Armitage's poems, called "Kid" was based on the old 1960s Batman TV series, written from Robin's point of view. One of the things he had said in relation to the poem was that it was a way of showing that poems about heroic figures don't have to be written about ancient, mythical heroes and Gods, but can be about... well, whatever you want! So, I almost inevitably ended up writing poems about whatever I wanted - things that really interest me. I currently have two quite nice, light-hearted poems, one about Sherlock Holmes and one about the Daleks! I have recently, however, written one on a more serious issue that I really do have strong feelings about - soldiers and the army. More specifically, the "kill or be killed" mentality of soldiers, which I despise. Many of you might think I'm being ridiculous, and that way of thinking is fine, but one of the greatest and most inspirational people to have ever lived, in my opinion, was Mohandas Gandhi. Some of the quotes I have found from that one man show a greater wisdom than I think all the people of Earth today could ever manage. One of the best examples, which supports my point, comes from during WWII, when Gandhi said: "I would like you to lay down the arms you have as being useless for saving you or humanity. You will invite Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini to take what they want of the countries you call your possessions...If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them. If they do not give you free passage out, you will allow yourselves, man, woman, and child, to be slaughtered, but you will refuse to owe allegiance to them." This is a belief and way of thinking that I honestly think we should all adopt and would make us all much greater people. The utter refusal to use weapons or to kill and to be willing to accept death instead of acting as though murder is acceptable. It is this way of thinking I am trying to promote through my most recent piece of writing. And that's one of the reasons I love writing so much. It's a way to spread your message, your feelings, your opinions through so many avenues of the imagination. Through new characters, or new worlds in stories and novels. Poetry, I find, allows you to directly give a message to your reader that they may not normally hear out - it allows you to give your argument with more power than simple, on-the-spot speech ever could. Writing spreads and contains your thoughts, keeping them alive forever. Long after you've left this life, your words can live on and continue to show your thoughts and emotions. That cannot be stopped by anything. And that, my dear reader, is truly why the keyboard is mightier than the machine gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment